Saturday 13 April 2013

Cut



Cut by Patricia McCormick


I've actually owned this book for quite awhile but never got around to reading it.  I was forced to read it now because a teacher in my school had a problem with it being in my library - that it was inappropriate for students to read.  I think because it deals with a sensitive issue that people do not understand they think if they ignore it, it will go away.  This book was great.  It is about a young girl who has been committed to a psychiatric hospital because she cuts herself.  This book does not glorify self-mutilation (how would it be possible?) but makes it known that it is a very real problem but there is also help and that you are not a freak or crazy if you hurt yourself.  I wish this book had been around when I was younger, but even reading this book as an adult made me feel better about myself.  This is a very important book that should be included in all libraries for young adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment